Alzheimer’s Care/Dementia Care
CommuniCare specializes in caring for residents who are suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, dementia or memory impairment. We understand that these medical conditions can be difficult and emotionally trying for both our guests and their family members. For this reason, it is important to be cared for by those who understand the needs of each resident and the complexities of these illnesses. Our clinical services that are designed to meet these needs fall under our Alzheimer’s / Dementia Care programs.
These programs focus on reconnecting each individual to who they are and to the lifetime of memories and experiences they have created and have been a part. In order to be successful, we strive to make our residents feel at home. Residents are encouraged to personalize their suites, and families are welcome to visit at all hours of the day. Our staff uses visual and verbal cues, around the clock, to gently remind residents of their surroundings. In addition, therapeutic recreation, leisure activities and grooming skills aid each resident in remaining as independent as possible.
- One-on-one conversations and/or interactions
- Helping residents make their beds, dust their rooms, put away clothes, take a bath or shower, or any other routine maintenance of one’s household or self.
- Setting tables for meals and cleaning tables after meals
- Going for a walk, watering plants, reading, making crafts, engaging in group activities, etc.
- Celebrating birthdays, holidays, cultural events, etc.
Additional Program Components
- Meals served more often, including a variety of foods prepared to meet individual needs
- Activities that involve one-on-one interactions, group programs or the privacy of doing ‘their own thing’ to meet all goals
- Assessments of the resident’s cognitive abilities and the level of activity that would be most successful for each resident
- Therapeutic sensory group activities