When skilled nursing rehabilitation is necessary, it’s our goal to help you reach your goal of getting home safely and as quickly as possible.
Our experienced team of professionals coordinates with your doctor, while focusing on you as an individual. With your specific needs in mind, we develop a plan of therapy, including physical, occupational and speech therapy, and recovery that’s designed to help you heal sooner and get home safely and as quickly as possible.
As an organization, we are committed to delivering person-centered recovery care and achieving our greatest success when we watch you leave—healthy, happy and back to your home and family. Our skilled nursing and rehabilitation team includes physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, therapists and skilled care coordinators, all in an effort to ensure a complete circle of care.
Our clinical skilled nursing care and rehabilitation specialties include traditional therapy services, as well as recovery programs for complex medical conditions.
In certain locations, we also offer a dedicated environment strictly for guests requiring skilled nursing rehabilitation and recovery. These environments are unique in their spa-like décor, hotel-like amenities and expertise in all areas of nursing rehabilitation and complex medical conditions. At CommuniCare, we call these our Advance 360 Progressive Rehabilitation and Recovery Centers. These centers are leading our nation with the most unique environments healthcare has to offer today.Click here to learn more about Advance 360
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Joint Replacement
- Hip Fracture
- Shoulder Repair
- Back Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Major Abdominal Surgery
- Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
- COPD Exacerbation
- Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
- Diabetes Management
- General Weakness
- Wound Care Management
- Nutrition Management, including Enteral and Parenteral Feeding
- Cancer Care
- Pain Management
- Pulmonary Care
- Cardiac Recovery
- Intensive IV Therapies
- Acute and Chronic Renal Disease Services/Management of Dialysis
In addition to ongoing medical management and 24-hour nursing care, there are three types of general therapy provided in our skilled nursing center: physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy. Each guest is evaluated by our therapy department and if needed, will receive the appropriate amount of these therapies.
Our physical therapist will work with you to evaluate your condition and develop the best individualized plan of care. This plan will consist of exercise, muscle re-education techniques and balance activities, all targeting the individual’s specific challenges for a quicker recovery. Evaluations may include assessments of the following:
- Joint and Muscle Pain
- Range of Motion
- Muscle Strength and Tone
CommuniCare’s occupational therapists work to restore our guests’ abilities to adequately perform self-care and work-related tasks, as well as social and leisure activities. Within many of our centers, the occupational rehabilitation area features realistic home and work environments, in which guests practice normal routines:
- Checking the Mail
- Getting In and Out of Bed
- Navigating a Realistically Staged Home Setting
Upon completion of a rehabilitative stay, therapists may recommend environmental or routine changes that would allow our guest to function better at home. Therapists often conduct home visits to determine safety issues and equipment needs, as well. This provides a smooth transition back into the home, ensuring both the guest and their family members are confident and comfortable with resuming normal activity. For individuals who require memory care, additional professional support is provided to overcome problem solving and attention deficit challenges.
Our nursing rehabilitation team includes highly trained speech therapists, who work to evaluate neurologically impaired guests and develop individualized plans of care to treat communication disorders. These disorders can arise from hearing problems or cognitive conditions, or as the result of a stroke or an accident. They may also present as aphasia, swallowing and/or voice disorders and other communication impairments.Speech therapy involves engaging guests in exercises and activities, based on their evaluation, and can include behavior modification, cognitive therapy or a combination of both. CommuniCare also provides a comforting and relaxed environment in which therapy is conducted—an important element for a successful outcome. The goal of speech therapy will vary according to individual guests' needs, but it generally involves improvement in pronunciation and word recognition.
CommuniCare takes pride in the opportunity to serve our guests and strives to maximize independent functionality within various environments by using a variety of techniques, tools and equipment. While not all centers are equally equipped, we strive to position the appropriate equipment based on the needs of the center. Available equipment includes the following:
ACP’s Omnicycle™ Elite Motorized Rehabilitation System represents the most advanced therapy cycle technology available today. It accommodates post-acute patients who may be unable to participate in therapeutic exercises due to lack of strength, coordination, partial paralysis, respiratory limitations and other conditions. The Omnicycle™ Elite supports expanded therapy services for neurological rehabilitation (Stroke-CVA), orthopedic rehabilitation (TKA, THA, Shoulder, UE) and cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation (COPD).
Our Mega Pulse II Shortwave Pulsed Diathermy equipment, for the application of electromagnetic energy to the body at shortwave frequencies, is used to treat a wide range of conditions with successful outcomes. The electrotherapy elevates the tissue to a temperature at which optimal healing can occur. Shortwave diathermy is pulsed rather than continuous when it is necessary to isolate a smaller anatomical area for treatment. These medical issues include acute and sub-acute traumatic and inflammatory conditions, chronic rheumatoid and arthritic conditions, resolution of hematomas and pain relief. This system is widely recognized as one of the most reliable and efficient devices in the industry. It provides uniform heating for patient comfort and safety, and output parameters have been carefully selected for use with the elderly.
Our Mega Pulse II Shortwave Diathermy equipment, for the application of electromagnetic energy to the body at shortwave frequencies, is used to treat a wide range of conditions with successful outcomes. This electrotherapy elevates the tissue to a temperature at which optimal healing can occur. Shortwave diathermy is continuous, rather than pulsed, when it is necessary to treat a larger anatomical area. These medical issues include acute and sub-acute traumatic and inflammatory conditions, chronic rheumatoid and arthritic conditions, resolution of hematomas and pain relief. This system is widely recognized as one of the most reliable and efficient devices in the industry. It provides uniform heating for patient comfort and safety, and output parameters have been carefully selected for use with the elderly.
ACP’s Omnisound® 3000 Pro is the most extensively researched ultrasound device available and is supported by numerous research articles for superior outcomes and safety. When applied to soft tissue, muscles and tendons, this state-of-the-art therapy can create a heating effect to help reduce pain, increase blood flow, increase the extensibility of collagen tissues, decrease joint stiffness, reduce muscle spasms and decrease chronic inflammation associated with conditions such as bursitis and tendonitis. Ultrasound is generally considered painless and is well-tolerated by most patients.
ACP’s Omnisound® 3000 Pro Therapeutic Ultrasound device can be used in “pulse” or “continuous” modes for both thermal and sub-thermal applications. It offers consistent heating effects for patient comfort. This exceptional beam supports safer treatment for geriatric patients with reduced muscle mass and sensitive joints.
ACP’s Omnistim® 500 Pro is a versatile, multi-modality electrical stimulation system offering a broad spectrum of therapy options for the effective management of chronic intractable pain and/or acute post-traumatic pain and neuromuscular re-education. It can also be used for the treatment of muscle disuse atrophy and to increase circulation for tissue healing applications.
The OmniVR™ is the world’s first virtual rehabilitation system, designed specifically for geriatric patients and those facing complex medical conditions. This easy-to-use technology recreates your movements in a 3-D, real-time interactive experience to provide you with enhanced feedback and motivation to improve exercise participation, repetition and duration. It uses six different skilled exercise modes, developed for those with lower-functioning levels: seated exercise, wheelchair propulsion and control, upper extremity, balance, walking and cardio.
The Korebalance™ System exercises visual (eyes), vestibular (inner ear) and proprioception (where you are in space) to improve balance. It aids in the following:
- Stimulates the brain and nervous system to improve balance, stability, coordination and posture
- Improves agility, reaction time and motor control
- Makes workouts challenging, fun and interactive
- Improves confidence for seniors, decreasing the chances of falling
- Minimizes repetitive stress on joint structures
- Trains the body to respond to an unstable environment (real-life activities)
- Improves muscle strength, flexibility and range of motion
- Rehabilitates and prevents lower limb injuries
- Rehabilitates concussions and traumatic brain injury and all associated dizziness
- Increases calorie burn as more musculature is recruited
The AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill utilizes differential air pressure (DAP) technology, developed by NASA for use in training and rehabilitation. Cleared by the FDA in 2008, the AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill is a medical device that can be used for the following:
- Rehabilitation of Lower Extremity Injuries
- Treatment of Neurological Conditions
- Weight Reduction
- Aerobic Conditioning
- General Training to Combat the Diseases of Aging
Unweighting is achieved in the AlterG® by using air in a pressure-controlled chamber to gently lift the user. Precise calibration, using patented technology, allows for very specific unweighting in 1% increments to as low as 20% of the user’s body weight. Clinical studies show these treadmills can help decrease ground reaction forces in walking and running. The restoration of normal gait mechanics is paramount to optimal recovery and can be accelerated by this patented unweighting technology.
The Wii™ helps restore balance, functional mobility, hand-eye coordination, reflex responses and memory—all in a fun and engaging way.
- Adjustable Parallel Bars
- Bariatric Dual Release Walker
- Bariatric Electric Stand-in Table
- Blood Pressure Monitors
- Dumbbells and Cuff Weight sets
- Hand Dynamometers and Pinch Gauges
- Hi-Lo Electric Mat Table
- Ice Packs
- Moist Hot Packs
- Nu-Step Recumbent Cross Trainers
- Pulley Weight System
- Theraband Resistant Bands
The Connections Memory Care Program - Experts in Memory Care & SupportCommuniCare is proud to offer our Connections memory care program at several of our locations. Designed by leading experts in the Alzheimer's and dementia care industry, we focus on reconnecting residents to their past, present, and to the people and things they know and love most.
The Connections memory care program provides memory support built upon three key foundations: Preservation, Purpose and Pace. Preservation ensures the past continues to be a part of our residents’ daily lives, while purpose is found in stimulating activities provided to meet their needs. Finally, the flow of the day allows for comfortable and flexible routines to meet the individual needs of the residents to ensure person-centered dementia care.
Upon admission, we perform an evaluation on each resident to provide a clear indication of the level of Alzheimer’s or dementia care needed. Over time, re-evaluations are performed periodically to assure we are providing the right level of memory support services. These evaluations also allow the family to be fully engaged in the decision-making process (if they so choose to be). We also provide guidance for communication throughout the stages of dementia to ensure family members enjoy meaningful and purposeful visits with their loved ones.
Some of the features of our specialized Alzheimer’s and dementia care programming include:
- -Specially-trained staff certified as Connections Practitioners
- -A secure, comfortable Alzheimer’s unit to ensure a safe environment
- -Individualized rehabilitation offered 7 days a week, including physical, occupational and speech therapy
- -Person-centered activities based on the corresponding stage of dementia as well as residents’ interests
- -Quarterly family nights to keep residents connected to loved ones
- -Incorporation of the Montessori-based dementia programming to promote independence and purpose for every resident.
Connections memory care is available at the following CommuniCare locations:
- Baldwin Health Center
- Berea Alzheimer’s Care Center
- BridgePort Healthcare Center
- Burlington House Rehabilitative and Alzheimer's Care Center
- Cityview Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Clifton Healthcare Center
- Crestwood Care Center
- Ellicott City Healthcare Center
- Garden Valley Healthcare Center
- Grande Pointe Healthcare Community
- Green Park Senior Living Community
- Greenwood Healthcare Center
- Hanover Healthcare Center
- Indian Creek Healthcare Center
- Kent Healthcare Center
- Lake Pointe Health Center
- Pine Valley Care Center
- Riverside Healthcare Center
- Rolling Hills Healthcare Center
- Sleepy Hollow Healthcare Center
- Southwood Healthcare Center
- Suburban Pavilion Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Valley View Healthcare Center
- Westminster Healthcare Center
- Wood Glen Alzheimer's Community
- Wyant Woods Care Center
- Colony Healthcare Center
- Homestead Healthcare Center
Who Is Your Hero Contest Submission Form
All submissions are due to your local CommuniCare center by June 30th, 2017. The contest will conclude with a total of 60 winners (one from each center, one regional winner, and one winner overall).
The below form is to be filled out for online submission. Please click here for Isaac Rosedale's letter, "My Father, My Hero," to be used as an example for submissions.
PLEASE NOTE: By submitting the below form, you are giving CONSENT/PERMISSION to use the details of your submission by/on CommuniCare: Social Media platforms, Website, Public Relation Efforts, including internal and external campaigns.[gravityform id="10" title="true" description="true"]
There comes a time for many families when 24-hour long-term care for a loved one is simply a necessity. When this time arrives, being surrounded by an experienced clinical team, who cares like family, is essential to one’s quality of life. At CommuniCare, we understand this quality of life cannot be achieved by tending only to an individual’s clinical needs. Instead, our long-term care program focuses on delivering a high quality of care in an engaging and vibrant environment. Our care programming is called Lifestyles, because we strive to create a customized lifestyle for our residents, filled with fun, love and meaningful engagement. This allows us to cater to the mind, body, heart and soul, ultimately creating a lifestyle of fulfillment.
We work hard to slow progression of any deteriorating physical and mental conditions, and to rehabilitate whenever possible. In all cases, our long-term care services provide an environment of caring people and the experience of a caring community. We know that working with your loved ones can be a rewarding, yet sometimes challenging, process. It’s with an open heart and determination that we work to give them their lives back. We build a bridge to the past, by including families throughout the long-term care treatment process to help our guests remember the beautiful and important person they were and are. We engage them in entertaining activities and provide warm companionship, in order to create meaningful lifestyles. Ultimately, we create a continuum of life for your loved one.
- 24/7 Admissions Acceptance
- Medicaid Application Assistance
- Financial/Insurance Consultation
- Private* and Semi-private Rooms
- Delicious Meals and Snacks
- Life Enrichment Activities, 7 days/week
- Social Services
- Consulting Psychologist and Psychiatrist
- Podiatry, Dental and Vision Care
- Licensed Dietitian
- Laundry Services
- Discharge Planning
Alzheimer's Care/Dementia Care
CommuniCare specializes in caring for residents who are suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, dementia or memory impairment. We understand that these medical conditions can be difficult and emotionally trying for both our guests and their family members. For this reason, it is important to be cared for by those who understand the needs of each resident and the complexities of these illnesses. Our clinical services, designed to meet these needs, fall under our Connections programs.
These programs focus on reconnecting each individual to who they are and to the lifetime of memories and experiences they have created and have been a part of. In order to be successful, we strive to make our residents feel at home. Residents are encouraged to personalize their suites, and families are welcome to visit at all hours of the day. A specially trained staff uses visual and verbal cues, around the clock, to gently remind residents of their surroundings. In addition, therapeutic recreation, leisure activities and grooming skills aid each resident in remaining as independent as possible.
- One-on-one conversations and/or interactions
- Helping residents make their beds, dust their rooms, put away clothes, take a bath or shower, etc.
- Setting tables for meals and cleaning tables after meals
- Going for a walk, watering plants, reading, making crafts, engaging in group activities, etc.
- Celebrating birthdays, holidays, cultural events, etc.
Additional Program Components
- Meals served more often, including a variety of foods prepared to meet individual needs
- Activities that involve one-on-one interactions, group programs or the privacy of doing ‘their own thing’ to meet all goals
- Assessments of the resident’s cognitive abilities and the level of activity that would be most successful for each resident
- Therapeutic sensory group activities
Our team members treat residents with the sensitivity and care necessary for those requiring wound care. We understand there is an emotional side of healing, especially with regard to wounds that have resisted healing after months or even years of traditional treatment. Our staff members and wound care specialists have developed a focused program for our residents, which includes wound healing, resident comfort, interdisciplinary treatment and education.
Types of Wounds and Ulcers Treated
- Venous Stasis
- Collagen Vascular Disease
- Decubitus Ulcers (Pressure Sores)
- Arterial Ulcers
- Post-Operative Wounds
- Infected Wounds
- Any Other Wounds that Resist Healing
- 24-hour nursing care with staff trained in wound and skin management
- Physician involvement and support
- Registered dietician involvement
- Physical and occupational therapies
- Weekly interdisciplinary wound rounds
- Consultations with community-based wound centers, when appropriate
- Resident and family education and support
- Continuous assessment and evaluation of treatment
- In addition to traditional treatment options, we offer many innovative techniques and treatment, monitored by experienced staff
When it’s clear that an individual is approaching the end-of-life, we provide hospice care for patients and families who choose this service. Hospice care is designed, equipped and staffed to help patients and families address end-of-life questions, while providing the medical, psychological and spiritual support necessary to progress through an emotionally trying time, full of difficult decisions. We recognize every moment is precious and work to provide peace, comfort and dignity, while helping patients manage pain and other symptoms in the best ways possible.
Many of our locations provide respite care for caregivers who may need a vacation or simply some time away from the role of caregiver. Our program gives family members time off so they can resume giving care, feeling refreshed and rested. It’s a well-deserved vacation. You are welcome to call and arrange dates through our admissions department when needed, and we will work with you to accommodate your schedule.
Of all the symptoms associated with the treatment of chronic disease and disability, pain is perhaps the most individualized. We are extremely attentive during this treatment, because all individuals have different pain tolerance levels, and every individual experiences/copes with pain in unique ways. CommuniCare is sensitive to these differences. Our focus on individualized care gives us an advantage in providing palliative care in each of our skilled nursing centers. Our care teams provide relief from pain and other symptoms of serious illness, while helping residents learn to manage these symptoms in a caring and understanding way.
Symptoms treated may include the following:
- Loss of Appetite
- Shortness of Breath
Advanced Specialty Hospitals’ Long-Term Acute Care Hospital (LTACH—pronounced L-tack) addresses the needs of a small, but growing, patient population who cannot be effectively treated in the conventional, skilled nursing setting. Patients are referred to an LTACH for the continuation of acute medical care, because the severity and complexity of their conditions require a highly trained team skilled in complex medical conditions.
From elderly persons with pre-existing conditions technology-dependent individuals, every patient is treated with dignity, respect and compassion. Our holistic Plan of Care includes an aggressive, integrated program of medical and therapeutic modalities.
Specialty programs include the following:
- Pulmonary/Ventilator: Provides patients who suffer from respiratory failure with the opportunity to successfully wean from ventilator dependence and achieve their highest functioning level. Due the continuity of care, many return home breathing on their own.
- Medically Complex: Provides integrated treatment for more than one condition, including life-support services such as telemetry, parenteral nutritional support, cardiac and respiratory monitoring and dialysis.
- Complex Wound: Specialized treatment for patients with pressure ulcers, serious wound complications or where recovering from extensive surgery.
- Low Tolerance Rehabilitation: Offers physical and occupational therapy, as well as speech language pathology, to patients unable to participate in more than three hours of therapy a day.
Individuals referred to CommuniCare’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) are considered by physicians to be medically stable with the potential to improve and have the ability to undergo recovery in a nursing rehabilitation program. Physical and medical conditions, as well as difficulties with daily living, communication and other activities are evaluated before admittance.
Our specialized treatment programs treat the whole person through a well-planned, aggressive and integrated program of medical and therapeutic care. Our goal is to enable individuals to regain working and living independently. Approximately three hours of rehabilitation is undertaken per day on weekdays, as well as additional weekend hours as needed. Therapy is guided by CommuniCare’s expert and caring staff of rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, occupational and speech therapists, social workers and psychologists.
Flexible and individualized treatment is provided for those disabled by injury or illness. Referring physicians may admit their own patients and follow their care or they may choose to have CommuniCare’s medical director oversee their rehabilitation. As always, patients are given the choice of their medical provider.
We care for the following:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Congenital Deformity
- Major Multiple Trauma
- Fracture of Femur
- Active Polyarticular Rheumatoid Arthritis, Psoriatic Arthritis and Seronegative Arthopathies
- Systemic Vasculidities with Joint Inflammation
- Severe or Advanced Osteoarthrosis or Degenerative Joint Disease
- Knee or Hip Joint Replacement (with specified criteria)
- Brain Injury
- Neurological Disorders:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Motor Neuron Diseases
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Parkinson’s Disease
For older adults, aging is a time of decreased functioning and increased dependence. But as with all individuals, their needs are unique. For some, a skilled nursing center would provide more healthcare than necessary. On the other hand, living on one’s own may be too difficult. CommuniCare can help. Our assisted living communities provide a combination of housing, personal care services, nursing and healthcare, all in an environment that promotes maximum independence, privacy and choice for residents who prefer not to live alone, but who don’t require 24-hour care.
Our assisted living environment is designed to be welcoming and home-like, while supporting the physical, emotional and intellectual needs of our residents. Choices begin with assisted living accommodations designed for those who prefer privacy, as well as those who don’t care to live alone.
When available, we have conveniently located our assisted living communities on the same campus as our nursing centers, enabling residents to easily access physical therapy programs, as well as occupational and speech therapy, if needs arise. As requirements change and long-term care concerns need to be addressed, our center represents a natural transition within a familiar environment.
- Assisted Living Services and Support
- Administering Medications and Tests
- Taking Blood Pressure Readings
- Monitoring Chronic Conditions
- Scheduling Doctor Appointments
- Acting as Healthcare Liaison
Serving Those Who Served – Long Term Care for Veterans
As our way of caring for the specific needs of those who have served our country, CommuniCare proudly offers our Honor 360 program at several of our locations. Services include skilled rehabilitation, respite care, hospice, wound care, pulmonary and cardiac care, and long term care for veterans.
The mission of our Honor 360 program is to provide specialized veterans medical care and services in a post-acute care setting. We understand the complex and ongoing issues facing those who have served, and our caring staff is specially trained to provide a well-rounded, holistic approach that focuses on the veteran as a whole. We take each person’s unique history and journey of service into consideration when creating customized care plans designed to improve quality of life.
Honor 360 offers comprehensive medical and long term care for veterans, with an interdisciplinary team approach to care for such complex needs as traumatic brain injuries, amputations and other combat-related injuries. In addition to medical services, our model of care offers activities designed to keep veterans engaged and connected, including:
- Group and One-to-One Counseling
- Art and Music Relaxation
- VA Benefit Resources
- Support Groups
- Club Outings and Outings to VFW
- Buddy Program
- Honored Vet of the Month and Honored Veterans Ceremonies
- Pen Pal Overseas Program
- And much more!
Thank you for your service – it is our privilege to serve you! The Honor 360 Program is available at the following CommuniCare locations:
- Baldwin Health Center
- BridgePark Healthcare Center
- Burlington House Rehabilitative and Alzheimer's Care Center
- Chardon Healthcare Center
- Forestville Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Hanover Healthcare Center
- Northwestern Healthcare Center
VA Contracts are available at the following CommuniCare locations:
- Baldwin Healthcare Center
- Northwestern Healthcare Center
- Forestville Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Wexford Healthcare Center
- Riverside Healthcare Center
- Willow Tree Healthcare Center
- Wood Glen Alzheimers Community
If you or a loved one was an enlisted wartime veteran over age of 65 and required home care assisted living or skilled care, you could be reimbursed up to $2,2120.00 a month from the Department of Veteran affairs. Find out more and which CommuniCare facilities offer Aid and Attendance by clicking here.
- Skilled Nursing Rehabilitation
- Our recovery and rehabilitation team provides traditional occupational, physical and speech therapies as well as customized recovery programs for complex medical conditions. Our Advance 360 units represent some of the most modern, cutting-edge environments healthcare has to offer today.
- Who Is Your Hero Submission Form
- Long-Term Care
For those in need of extended nursing care, we deliver high-quality care in a warm, engaging, fun, vibrant environment. Our goal is to help our customers feel at home.
- Assisted Living
For customers who prefer not to live alone but don’t require 24-hour skilled care, our assisted living communities provide housing, personal care, nursing and healthcare in an environment that offers independence, privacy and choice for residents.
- Honor 360 – Veterans Assistance Program